Making your own laundry detergent at home is a great way to reduce your impact on the environment, save money, and eliminate harsh chemicals from your laundry routine. Natural laundry detergent is easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients. In this blog post, we'll walk you through the steps to make your own natural laundry detergent, and provide links to where you can buy the ingredients.
Why make your own laundry detergent?
Commercial laundry detergents often contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful to both the environment and your health. Many detergents contain synthetic fragrances and dyes that can cause skin irritation and other health problems. In addition, these chemicals can be harmful to aquatic life when they enter waterways.
Making your own laundry detergent is a great way to reduce your impact on the environment and save money. Natural laundry detergent is biodegradable, so it won't harm the environment when it goes down the drain. Plus, making your own laundry detergent is much cheaper than buying commercial detergent.
To make your own natural laundry detergent, you'll need just a few simple ingredients:
- Washing soda
- Castile soap
- Essential oils (optional)
Washing soda is a natural cleaner and a powerful stain remover. It's made by baking baking soda at a high temperature, which changes its chemical composition. Washing soda is often used in homemade cleaning solutions and laundry detergents.
Borax is a natural mineral that is often used as a laundry booster. It helps to soften water and remove stains.
Castile soap is a natural, vegetable-based soap that is gentle on the skin. It's a great alternative to commercial laundry detergents that often contain harsh chemicals.
Essential oils are optional, but they can be used to add a pleasant scent to your laundry. Lavender, lemon, and peppermint essential oils are all popular choices.
Making your own natural laundry detergent is easy. Here's how to do it:
- Grate the castile soap. You can use a cheese grater to grate the soap into small pieces.
- Combine the grated soap, washing soda, and borax in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- If you're using essential oils, add a few drops to the mixture and stir again.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container. You can use a mason jar or a plastic container with a lid.
To use your homemade laundry detergent, add 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture to your washing machine. You can use more or less depending on the size of your load and how dirty your clothes are.
Where to buy the ingredients:
You can buy the ingredients for natural laundry detergent at many health food stores, online retailers, or grocery stores. Here are some links to where you can buy the ingredients:
- Washing soda: You can buy washing soda online at Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- Borax: You can buy borax online at Amazon or in-store at Target.
- Castile soap: You can buy castile soap online at Amazon or in-store at Whole Foods.
- Essential oils: You can buy essential oils online at Amazon or in-store at health food stores. We also carry essential oil in our shop.
Making your own natural laundry detergent is a great way to reduce your impact on the environment, save money, and eliminate harsh chemicals from your laundry routine. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a powerful and effective laundry detergent that is gentle on your clothes and your skin. Try making your own natural laundry detergent today and see the difference it can make in your laundry routine!
If you're looking for pre-made laundry detergent powder made from natural, cruelty-free ingredients, we sell them in our shop. Check out the links below.
Shop Our Natural Laundry Detergent